top of page

He got the message, former deputy director of NAIS returns home: I was in…

  • Writer: Korca Boom
    Korca Boom
  • Aug 21
  • 3 min read

The former Deputy Director General of the National Agency for Information Society (AKSHI), Daniel Shima, has returned home safe and sound.


He had been reported missing yesterday by his family, who had lost contact with him.


Shima claims that he had been in the south of the country after a conflict with his girlfriend.


However, he has not provided an explanation for the message he sent to family members, where before going completely silent he wrote: “They are arresting me.”


WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY AFTERNOON?


Initially, it was reported that the family of the former Deputy Director General of AKSHI, Daniel Shima, had filed a missing person’s report at Police Station no. 1 after losing contact with him.


According to them, Shima had sent a message to relatives informing them that he was being arrested, but after that message, all communication with him was cut off. This message raised concerns about his fate.


Meanwhile, it was learned that the police had begun seizing security camera footage in the area where Shima was suspected to have been, in order to clarify the circumstances of the incident.


At the same time, it was reported that the police immediately launched an investigation into two possible scenarios: kidnapping, or a possible staged disappearance.


What did the police say?


Tirana Police officially reacted regarding the disappearance of the former Deputy Director General of NAIS, Daniel Shima.


The police stated that it was Daniel Shima’s mother who reported at Police Station No. 1 that she had lost contact with her son.


In its announcement, the police did not provide details about the lines of investigation being pursued in Shima’s case.


“On 20.08.2025, around 17:00, at Police Station No. 1, citizen M. Sh. appeared and reported that today she lost contact with her son, citizen D. Sh., 34 years old.


Police services are working to clarify the circumstances of the case and to find him,” the Police announced.


It should be remembered that earlier, Shima had been summoned for questioning by SPAC regarding the tenders of the National Agency for Information Society (AKSHI).


Who is Daniel Shima?


Daniel Shima held for several years the position of number two at NAIS, directly under the director of the institution, Mirlinda Karçanaj.


He was dismissed in March 2024, precisely on the day when Karçanaj was summoned for several hours to the Special Prosecution Office (SPAK). After leaving SPAC, Karçanaj returned to the office and signed his dismissal.


During his time in office, Shima faced public accusations regarding abuses and thefts in tenders organized by NAIS. A year ago, it was reported that he had been placed under protection by the Republican Guard, by special decision, due to a risk identified by law enforcement institutions.


However, there was never any official information as to whether he was actually threatened or why his life was considered to be at risk.


But what did Ahmetaj declare about Daniel Shima?


Former Deputy Prime Minister Arben Ahmetaj, in an interview from exile in July 2024, spoke about an environmental wiretap obtained by SPAC concerning tenders worth 43 million euros, or 43 billion lek, through the National Agency for Information Society (AKSHI).


According to Ahmetaj, Daniel Shima was threatened by Rama to keep his mouth shut.


“NAIS is a horror. Daniel has been threatened. Now, those who understand know very well that he was told to keep quiet. Daniel was threatened by the Prime Minister himself to shut his mouth. Let him come out and make jokes, no he said…” declared Ahmetaj at the time.


His disappearance yesterday once again opens the debate on the background of billion-lek tenders at NAIS and the possible clashes within this key institution for the management of state technology and information systems.



“KORÇA BOOM”

ree

bottom of page